The essential photo equipment to practice the activity of photographer!
Of course, you will not have the same needs whether you are a professional photographer or a construction photographer. However, we are going to guide you to choose your best photo equipment and to exercise your activity of photographer with brilliance!
Start by choosing your digital camera
A word of advice: don't be too hasty in buying your camera! First and foremost, you need to know what type of camera you will need. There are four main families of digital cameras:
- The compact : it is a small camera, hence its name "compact", which allows you to easily carry it. It is more recommended for beginners and nomad photographers. Count between 70€ and 500€, for the top of the range cameras. It is very easy to use and is perfectly suited for outdoor use.
- The bridge : bigger than a compact camera, the bridge has a bigger zoom. You will not be able to change lenses and your adjustments will be limited, but this type of camera is an alternative between the compact and the SLR. At a price between 200€ and 500€, we advise you to buy an entry-level SLR rather than an expensive bridge. The white balance, the change of lens, the more precise settings and the aperture of the diaphragm will offer you better quality photos.
- The SLR: this camera is composed of a body with a shutter release, a screen and adjustment buttons. Let's not forget the lens that will help you take quality photos, thanks to a clean sharpness, a nice depth of field and high sensitivity shots. Buying an SLR is an investment, you should expect to pay between 400€ and several thousand euros. That's why you can choose to go for second-hand equipment to lower the overall cost. Note that the lens will be different depending on the use you will have (landscape, indoor shooting, night shooting, etc.).
- The hybrid: this camera has the advantages of the reflex with those of the compact. Its interchangeable lenses, its small size, its light weight and its large sensor make it a quality product. Count about 500€ for this type of camera.
The photographer's essential accessories
The photo tripod
The tripod is one of the most valuable accessories for the photographer. Whether you want to take a picture of a landscape, a portrait, a decoration or a fashion accessory, you will certainly need this type of equipment. Indeed, its stability will allow you to capture longer photographs without moving the camera, and therefore without affecting the final rendering of your shot. It is even more useful for photos taken at night.
If you are a beginner, you can start with an entry-level tripod, around 20€. However, if you have a professional use, we advise you to choose a more practical equipment, more solid and easily transportable.
When it comes to lighting, the photographer is sometimes faced with natural constraints. If you have to do an outdoor or indoor shoot, and there is a lack of light, it is in your best interest to invest in equipment dedicated to additional lighting. External flash, projector, lightbox or studio lighting kit will be essential to optimize the quality of your photos. Be sure to take into consideration the size of your equipment, you may quickly run out of space if it is a photo studio installation.
The stabilizer (video)
You are a photographer and you wish to widen your fields of competence? It is possible, everything is possible! For that you will have to think about equipping yourself well. If you want to learn to master video but you don't have the right equipment, you can always count on the motorized camera stabilizer.
This little wonder will allow you to have smooth and very good quality video sequences. The stabilizer is about 1kg and allows you to capture images with an autonomy of up to 11h for some models. Count 500€ on average for a quality stabilizer. Video clip, short film or time lapse You widen the field of possibilities thanks to this new equipment!
The photo reflector
The reflector is an essential working tool for any photographer working outdoors. You must have a main light source to use the photo reflector. It can be the sun, a flash or a lighting kit.
Easily transportable, the reflector is also very cheap. Count between 10€ and 30€ on average to save you from sometimes difficult situations.
Your camera certainly has the white balance settings. Also, your retouching software probably has a color correction mode. However, note that there are filters that you can not reproduce from your camera. For this, I invite you to turn to the appropriate filters. Polarizing filters or diffusion filters, you are now equipped to make beautiful outdoor photographs.
The remote trigger
As its name suggests, you can, thanks to this material, trigger a photo remotely without having to touch your camera. Thus, you limit the risks of accidentally moving your camera and capture slightly blurred shots. With or without wire, the remote trigger adapts to your camera with a remote control that will be able to adjust the focus or the timer, for some models.
Count on about 20€ for an efficient shutter release compatible with most cameras. A good deal for successful images!
You may think it is a useless piece of equipment... Think again! The backpack is an essential element to travel the steepest paths without fear of destroying your equipment. Ideally, you will choose a backpack adapted to the elements you have.
Camera, lenses, flash, memory card, filter, battery backup... You can have everything on your back and keep your hands free to carry your light, your tripod or your reflector! Count about 100€ for a backpack adapted to your nomadic life!
We can't tell you enough... Precaution is the key to comfort! To do this, you need to plan as much as possible in case of unforeseen situations. The storage of your images, for example. You may have exceeded your storage capacity at some point or you may have a problem with your memory card.
To avoid these risks - and waste time deleting your older photos or trying to fix a technical problem - we advise you to bring 3 64GB memory cards that will always stay with you. Peace of mind comes at a price: expect to pay around €90 for a 64GB memory card.
The portable power station
You may already be equipped with a charger to fill your batteries with energy. This problem has a solution: the external charger that accompanies you everywhere. Its weight, its autonomy and its usefulness make it an indispensable product.
However, if your battery charger only has an AC outlet, you can always invest in a portable power station. Count on average 500€ for this type of model, compatible with a usb, mains and jack plug.
Canon, Nikon, Sony... Are all camera brands the same?
As you may already know, when it comes to photography, there are many schools. The sensitivity for a type of camera, for the proposed accessories, for the type of lens and for the functionalities, guide the choice of a brand.
Canon, the professional photography equipment
Canon is the number one in the market of digital cameras with interchangeable lenses. It is at the end of the 1950's that the Canon brand commercialized its first digital camera. Created by a photography enthusiast, the brand continues its development to offer professional photo equipment to the general public.
When it comes to SLR cameras, the most powerful and efficient is certainly the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, whose strengths are as follows:
- 30.4MP full frame sensor,
- Advanced professional features,
- Suitable for making quality videos,
- Focal length wifi,
- Fast shutter speed,
- Accurate and fast autofocus,
- 4K video,
- Little noise in the high ISO,
- Solid case.
The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV is a real jewel of photography. The only drawback is its price, which is close to 3 000€, making it not very accessible to those who want to start.
Nikon, 100 years of photographic development
Like all the major camera brands, Nikon was born in Japan. Initially dedicated to the manufacture of military equipment, the brand is dedicated to the equipment of advanced optical technology. During the second half of the 20th century, Nikon was a partner of NASA and gradually managed to position itself as one of the leaders in the photography market.
The Nikon D850 is the big winner among the brand's SLR cameras. Primarily intended for professional photographers, the Nikon D850 has many assets:
- Large full format sensor (24x36mm),
- High-flying automatic white balance,
- Very fast 153 points autofocus,
- Focus peaking/steaking functions,
- Vertically adjustable touch screen.
However, its price and the lack of sensor stabilization and USB-C make it its minor flaws. Count around 3,000€ for this quality device.
Sony, quality for the photographer
The Sony brand is a multinational company marked by the audiovisual, including photography. Known and recognized throughout the world, the Sony brand manufactures many good references in this field.
To date, the Sony Alpha A7 III camera is an opportunity for photographers who want to assert their talent. Here are the advantages of the model:
- Full format sensor,
- Adjustable and touchable LCD back screen,
- Double SD card slot,
- Reactive and powerful autofocus,
- Automatic focus,
- 5-axis stabilization of the sensor,
- USB-C and micro USB socket
Count on no less than 2 000€ for this model which will not disappoint you!
A time-lapse camera for photographer
If you want to create time-lapse, maybe the good way is to choose one optimized to photographer.
Starting out in photography or making a living as a photographer requires that you take an interest in the equipment available on the market to develop your skills. While you can go to sites like Amazon to buy small equipment, don't hesitate to go to specialized stores to invest in good quality equipment.
Now you have all the information you need to equip yourself efficiently for your next shoot!